What does OR.NET mean?
OR.NET e.V. is a registered association bringing together industrial specialists, clinical staff and researchers, all intent on realising open integration in the OR of the future, as well as in other areas of acute medicine. It is our vision to establish safe and dynamic device-to-device communication using state-of-the-art information and communication technology. Medical equipment is automatically integrated in a device network within the OR, the ICU or the emergency room via plug-and-play.
Following 15 years of research, the enormous relevance of our approach became transparent in the OR.NET project funded by the German Ministry BMBF (until 2014), not least through the participation of more than 50 directly funded project
partners and an equal number of associated project partners. The technical outcome of this project was made public in 2018, in the form of three IEEE 11073 SDC standards enabling manufacturers to make their products integrable.
Establishing these SDC standards is a declared goal of our association. In addition to prominent publicity work, it identifies and discusses key topics in individual workgroups. Topics currently being addressed through the set-up of demonstration and test centres include requirements for the open network regarding approval, development and initial operation.
The ever-increasing number of computer-based devices and instruments in the OR and hospital is leading to a need to integrate medical equipment, systems and software solutions in an overall infrastructure. The wide variety of devices and the information they entail can be integrated within this connected set-up via dynamic networking to provide new and innovative functions.
The overriding goal of technical developments in medicine should be the improvement of quality and safety in healthcare.
The safety and usability of networked medical products and IT systems represent both a key quality criterion and an element of risk management. Consideration of this aspect is rapidly gaining prominence within the field of risk management for medical products due to increasingly complex technology and the growing complexity of human-machine interaction in the medical environment.
- long-term monitoring of OR.NET standard (ensuring sustainability)
- continuity of collaboration (across Germany) after OR.NET
– maintenance of workgroup structures
– joint workshops
– exchange of data and information
- hosting of IT infrastructure incl. free tools
- promotion, initiation and support of research projects in line with our association mission
– consultations and general training for medical product developers, manufacturers, operators and users, as well as specific training during the development, approval, manufacture and launching of new medical products, also and particularly during the procurement of suitable service providers
- operation of test centres and laboratories on various sites
- constructive cooperation with national and international organisations and associations, as well as information exchange and cooperation with experts in Germany and abroad
- support of scientific and educational events
- publicity work to promote the goals of our association and the topics set out above
- creation of information and communication platforms for association goals related to specific topics